Hi y’all! Today I am reviewing a book called Love Riot. It hasn’t actually been released yet, but I got the opportunity to join the launch team and got a free copy ahead of time. But free or not, it was really good–her passion for Jesus is contagious!
Young people are walking away from the church and those still in the church often struggle with indifference about their faith. But it doesn’t have to be this way. It’s time for a revolution, a holy uprising. A riot.
With passion and authenticity, teen author Sara Barratt calls on her generation to reject apathy and embrace a daring, costly faith. Not content with safe religion that demands nothing of us, Sara shows teens how they can stop giving in to the status quo and devote themselves fully to Christ, following him no matter what their friends do or the culture around them does. She challenges them to give everything over–their comfort zones, their time, their loyalties, their pride–and discover that in losing control they are gaining the life that was meant for them all along. Love Riot is a battle cry from one teen to another to embrace a life of wholehearted commitment and relentless abandon for Christ . . . no matter the cost.
This book has an amazing and powerful message, and more teens need to hear it! As a teen myself, I loved reading Love Riot. Here are a few of the highlights.
- Its chapters are concise and to the point, and illustrated with many inspiring, real-life examples. Even if you are a bit of a begrudging reader when it comes to nonfiction, it will be hard to put this book down. It is very well-written and engaging.
- The author’s voice is not preachy, but instead is truly passionate about Jesus. Unlike some Christian book authors, Sara Barratt is very humble and quick to admit that she is still growing too. That makes her love for Christ incredibly contagious.
- As far as I could see, it is biblically solid and based on truths in Scripture. I was a little nervous when I didn’t see many verse references in the introduction and first chapter (they were more of “calls to action”), but the rest of the book had Bible verses and examples woven all throughout it.
Prepare to be inspired to live with reckless love for God.
The only possibly negative thing I would mention is that I expected this book to be more focused on the theme of love from its title than it turned out to be. But I was not disappointed by the content that I found instead. The author stresses that a radical love for God changes every part of our lives (much like This Changes Everything by Jaquelle Crowe) and from that point on, she covers everything from Bible memorization to the church to evangelism.
From that description, it might sound like a crazy unorganized mess, but it really is refreshing to read about so many parts of the Christian life all summarized into one book. It definitely helped me to get a thorough look at my spiritual life and see what I needed to work on.
Though the book did not focus on the “Love” in “Love Riot” as much as I expected it to, it definitely fulfilled its subtitle: “A Teenage Call to Live with Relentless Abandon for Christ.”
I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to live with relentless abandon for Christ.
The book doesn’t come out until May 5th, but if you preorder it, you get some extra goodies!
- Fourteen video mini sessions from the author herself, introducing each chapter
- The Love Riot Leader’s Guide with in-depth study questions and guidance for small groups
- Two custom hand-lettered Love Riot lock screens
These could be very helpful for studying the book with a friend or small group! (In addition, each chapter has some very helpful “Going Deeper” questions.) =)
How to get the pre-order freebies:
1) Pre-order a copy of the book from your fav book retailer
2) Take your order # info to https://sarabarratt.com/books/love-riot/ and find the “Claim Bonuses” button in the middle of the page. Click on that button and complete the form.
3) Watch your email for info about how to download your bonuses!
What do you think?
Should I do more book reviews in the future? Are you excited for Love Riot to come out? What have you been reading recently?