Wow. In just four days, we’ll be starting a new decade. 2020.
A new year means a lot of things–a new calendar, a new semester of school, a new Bible reading plan–but one of the biggest, in my opinion, is a chance to analyze ourselves and refocus.
One of the ways I’m doing that this year is by choosing a focus word–a word to summarize a way I’d like to grow in my faith this coming year. My word for 2020 is trust.
I actually chose “trust” for 2019, but I decided to make it my 2020 word as well. Trust is a huge part of the Christian faith, and it intertwines with so many other parts of the faith. When we trust that God sees us, we can learn not to give in to temptation. When we trust that He has a plan and will provide what we need, we can find contentment and have peace in our circumstances. When we trust that Jesus has forgiven us, we can stop beating ourselves up and praise Him. When we trust God, we can conquer our fears. (I write more about this in “Fear Vs. Faith”.)
“I already trust God, thank you very much.”
You’ve already mastered trust you say? Well, trust is a daily choice, so even if you trust God sometimes, other times you’ll find that your lack of trust manifests itself through discontentment, fear, anxiety, and doubt. Trust is an art. There is always room to grow.
What is “trust”, exactly?
“Trust” is a lot like “faith”, but I like the word “trust” better because it feels more concrete and is less overused–it implies something that goes further than simple belief. Trust is reliance. When you trust something, you don’t just say so. You stand on it.
In case you’d like to adopt “trust” as a focus word for yourself, here I have a few verses, songs, and graphics to help you out!
Bible Verses (All are ESV)
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. – Proverbs 3:5-6
- When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me? – Psalm 56:3-4
- You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you because he trusts in you. – Isaiah 26:3
I’ve found that quite a few of my favorite songs have to do with trust. Feel free to name others in the comments!
- “Trust in You” by Lauren Daigle — this song paints a beautiful picture of trusting God even when He doesn’t answer our prayers the way we hope he will.
You are my strength and comfort / You are my steady hand / You are my firm foundation / The rock on which I stand / Your ways are always higher / Your plans are always good / There’s not a place where I’ll go / You’ve not already stood“Trust in You” by Lauren Daigle
- “Backseat Driver” by TobyMac — this song is a metaphor for trusting God. It shows that trust is all about giving Jesus the wheel with a very catchy beat. =)
I’m putting my trust in you, putting my trust in you / It’s a little bit overdue, but I’m putting my trust in you“Backseat Driver” by TobyMac
- “Way Beyond Me” also by TobyMac — this song is an awesome reminder of how we really need God. We need to rely on Him to get us through the circumstances He puts us in.
You take me to the place where I know I need You / Straight to the depths that I can’t handle on my own / And Lord I know, I know I need You“Way Beyond Me” by TobyMac
Here are some graphics I made that you can use as wallpapers or screensavers or backgrounds (whatever ya call ’em) on your devices. If you are on my email list, you will also have a chance at winning a graphic with your favorite Bible verse. =)
What do you think?
Do you have a focus word for 2020? Can you name any other Bible verses or songs about trust?